The University of Alberta in Canada has long been a popular destination for international students seeking a high-quality education. With a stellar reputation in various academic fields, this university offers attractive opportunities for prospective students.
However, before deciding to register, you need to understand the advantages of this university, the entry requirements required, and the estimated costs that need to be prepared.
Profile of the University of Alberta Canada
The University of Alberta (U of A or UAlberta) is one of the best universities in the world, located in Edmonton, Canada. The U of A has 40,000+ students, including more than 7,000 international students coming from more than 156 countries around the world.
In addition, the U of A has a strong history of innovative, high-quality teaching and research. This campus, which was founded in 1908, focuses on the quality of international standard learning systems. This campus also has a reputation for excellence in various fields such as Science, Humanities, Business, Engineering and Health Sciences.
Canada’s University of Alberta has four campuses located in the provincial capital of Edmonton. This location is right on the edge of the North Saskatchewan River valley covering 50 city blocks. You can enjoy urban green open spaces that are still beautiful and cool.
The U of A also has another campus called the Augustana Campus. This campus, which is located in the heart of Camrose, offers a safe and comfortable campus environment.
Reasons to Study at the University of Alberta Canada
Here are several reasons why you should choose the University of Alberta, including:
- The University of Alberta offers more than 200 undergraduate and 500+ postgraduate programs. Students can customize the degree they want to achieve from certificates, specializations, honors programs, to practicals. This campus also has an internationally based teaching and research system.
- Guaranteed tuition fees without increases during the lecture program.
- It has 18 faculties spread across 5 locations, including 4 campuses in Edmonton and one campus in Camrose.
- International students get housing facilities on campus. There are 13 housing options with a clean and safe environment.
Excellence from the University of Alberta
As one of the world’s top research universities, the University of Alberta certainly has various advantages and achievements. We summarize it below to make it clearer:
- According to data from QS World University Rankings , the University of Alberta is ranked in the top 4 best universities in Canada and 110th in the world.
- The QS Graduate Employability Rankings also recognized the University of Alberta as having the best overall student employment rate and employment prospects globally.
- Ranked 92nd in the Word Ranking in the Academic Ranking of World Universities.
- U of A is ranked 2nd in Canada and 7th in the world based on the Times Higher Education Impact Rankings 2023. Apart from that, U of A is also one of the 150 best universities in the world.
- Many scholarships are offered to all undergraduate (S1) and postgraduate (S2 and S3) students every year.
Meanwhile, many faculties offer paid work experience programs. This allows students to gain valuable experience and hone their skills well. Therefore, graduates from the University of Alberta have brighter job prospects.
Faculties and Departments
Departments at the University of Alberta are very diverse. The most popular majors are health & medicine (94 programs), science (171 programs), social sciences (60 programs), education (53 programs), and MBA (25 programs). There are 18 faculties spread across five campuses, such as:
- Medicine and Dentistry
- Indigenous Science
- Nursing Science
- Pharmacy and Pharmaceutical Sciences
- Rehabilitation Medicine
- Public health
- Natural science
- Postgraduate and Research Faculty
- Kinesiology, Sports, and Recreation
- French language faculty at Saint-Jean Campus
- Augustana Campus (science, culture, fine arts, sports education, social sciences, and natural sciences)
Each faculty has academically superior teaching staff. Likewise with the systematic curriculum that has been structured.
Tuition Fee Range at University of Alberta
The costs you have to pay to study at the University of Alberta depend on the program and faculty you choose. For undergraduate programs, the average annual cost is CAD $31,180, while for master’s programs it is CAD $10,920. Meanwhile you need to pay CAD $29,190 if you take a vocational program.
Additionally, the University of Alberta spends CAD $34 annually for scholarships and funding. This applies to all students without exception. Various types of scholarships include:International Admission ScholarshipRegional Excellence ScholarshipGold Standard ScholarshipPresident’s International Distinction ScholarshipInternational Leader ScholarshipMay Quon Undergraduate ScholarshipGlobal Citizen Scholarship (only for IB Diploma International Students)
Each type of scholarship has its own applicable requirements. You can choose according to the qualifications you have.
University of Alberta Admission Requirements
If you intend to apply to the University of Alberta Canada, you must meet several academic and language requirements first, especially for prospective international students. There are three specific requirements that prospective students must fulfill, as follows:
1. Take an English Proficiency Test
All prospective students are required to fulfill the English language proficiency test requirements. Several ways to fulfill these requirements are:
- Take an English Language Proficiency test (such as IELTS/TOEFL) with the respective minimum scores required on the University of Alberta website , namely an overall score of 6.5 and a minimum score of 6.0 for each band.
- Students can prove previous education in English from a recognized institution.
- Complete the Bridging Program.
2. Completion of Previous Academic Subjects
Students must submit completion of academic subjects according to the program and faculty chosen. So each faculty has different regulations regarding this requirement.
3. Grade Point Average (GPA)
Competitive requirements are also necessary as a condition for entering Aberta University in Canada. Each program has a different average minimum admission value. This value can change every year. For example, the Faculty of Law requires an average GPA of 3.8, while for Medical Laboratory Science it only requires 3.30.
Interested in studying at the University of Alberta Canada ?
Deciding to attend the University of Alberta was a great choice. However, if you are still confused about your choices, Salak Education offers efficient college consultations in Canada. Come on , start consulting now and achieve your dreams for a brilliant future!
1. What ranking is the University of Alberta?
UAlberta is listed as a top 5 ranking in Canada and one of the top 120 in the world.
2. Where is the University of Alberta campus located?
The campus which is ranked among the top in the world is located in Edmonton, Canada. Its strategic location with the city makes access easier.
3. What are the majors at the University of Alberta?
University Alberta has various programs such as law, medicine, science, education, creative arts, engineering, physical education, and so on.